The Klein history in the fish industry began in 1924. Ollie Klein Sr., peddled fish from his truck through Asbury Park, Ocean Grove and the Neptune area. In 1928, he opened Klein’s Fresh Air Fish Market in a rented store along Fifth Avenue at the Old Captain Kidd’s Landing in Belmar. A few months later, he purchased property at 708 River Rd. and opened Klein’s Fish Market at its current location in 1929.
With the passing of Ollie Sr. in 1972, Jack and Ollie Jr. kept the family operation thriving. Young Ollie III, who loved the restaurant business, became the General Manager of a prominent local seafood restaurant. Working closely with his Uncle Jack and Dad, Ollie III researched new areas to obtain the finest and freshest fish. They established a new network of purchasing seafood from all over the world.
In the spring of 1990, after the loss of Jack Klein, Ollie III returned home to the market. A kitchen was installed and a Take-Out menu with cooked items was developed. Each year dockside dining grew and additions to both the restaurant and menu were innovated. In 2004 a liquor license was added and the following year a Tiki Bar. Now, Klein’s Fish Market and Waterside Café has expanded with Klein’s Riverfront Bar & Grille which features a new specialty menu.